The Southwestern Community College District Governing Board is launching a national search for the next superintendent/president, with a timeline of conducting final candidate interviews in December.
The Governing Board has contracted with Community College Search Services for the search to replace retiring Superintendent/President Dr. Kindred Murillo.
“Dr. Murillo leaves big shoes to fill,” said Governing Board President and Search Committee Co-Chair Nora Vargas. “She has guided our college through incredible organizational and culture change that has focused on accountability, deconstructing institutional racism and improving student success and achievement.”
The college has increased its graduation rates, the number of students transferring to four-year universities and has recently brought a San Diego State University Microsite to the Chula Vista campus.
Southwestern College was the first community college in the region to successfully transition its spring instruction and business operations remotely due to the COVID-19 pandemic and has rallied to support its students, employees and community during the pandemic. Support to students has included distributing millions of dollars in relief aid, $150k in emergency grants, distribution of more than 1,000 computers and WiFi hotspots and distribution of grocery and gas cards. To better serve students, all employees received a technology stipend and the college has hosted several food and essential supply distributions for the surrounding communities.
The next superintendent/president will face an unprecedented budget crisis as the state grapples with the economic impact of COVID-19.
Vargas and Trustee Roberto Alcantar are co-chairing the search committee and are working with an advisory committee consisting of representatives from all the college’s constituency groups and community members appointed by Governing Board members.
The Governing Board approved the following timeline:
- Oct. 14 – Nov. 19: Search and recruitment open
- Nov. 19: Deadline to apply
- Dec. 4: Advisory Committee conducts first-level interviews
- Dec. 8: Forums with finalists answering questions submitted by employee affinity groups and community members will be recorded and made available online for viewing (Dec. 9 – 12) to allow college and community members to provide feedback on each finalist.
- Dec. 11: Finalist Meet & Greet with Bargaining Units and Executive Leadership Team.
- Dec. 15: Final interviews with Governing Board Members
Candidates seeking additional information can log onto jobs.swccd.edu.